Metal Cold Forging
Service: Custom Metal Cold Forging Products,Save material,Improve performance
Short Description:Cold forging use compressive force to manufacture and form metal parts,including to forge metal screws,sockets, bolts, power nuts, non-standard hardware parts, machinery parts, auto parts, construction parts,ground pins,sleeve bushing, rivets,ring gear,housing,etc.Adopting technology of cold forging/cold heading,not only save materials,but also increase density,and improve item`s performance.
Material: Aluminium,Copper,Brass,Carbon Steel,Stainless Steel,Zinc,etc;
Shape & Size: Customized according to drawing;
Place of Origin: China,Service to World;
|Want “Metal Cold Forging Items”? Inquiry or Order it!|
|Experienced products made with technology of Metal Cold Forging|
Metal Cold Forging, also named cold extrusion, cold heading, is cold working, a process of metal defroming working and material forming, is carried out at a normal temperature. The material for cold forging are mostly small, better deforming ,mainly are aluminum alloys, copper and some alloys, low carbon steel, carbon steel, low alloy steel. The product surface with cold forging manufacturing is high quality, high dimensional accuracy, can replace some of the cutting. It makes material strengthen and improve the strength of the parts.
- Aluminium cold forging parts
- Copper cold forging parts
- Brass cold forging parts
- Carbon steel cold forging parts
- … …
|Popular Metal parts made with metal cold forging/heading technology|
The following metal parts are popular to be made with cold forging technology.Not only can save materials,save cost,but also can improve item`s strength density and production effience.
- Other non-standard parts
|Benefits of metal cold forging|
Most of machined parts could be re-designed and re-manufactured to be parts made by technology of cold forming,which help you to get significant cost savings.
- Metal Cold Forging improve production effience and reduced Production costs:Because of using high speed manufacturing process. The speed reaches range from 10 pieces per minute for low volume large press work to to 450 pieces per minute on the cold heading process.
- Metal Cold Forging save material cost: Compared to a traditional machining process, cold forming process can save up to 70%.
- Better control product tolerance: compared to more expensive machining processes,less tolerance can be achieved throughout the production process by coldforming
- Higher and better quality surface: compared to conventional machined surfaces ,cold forming process can get result . The cold forming process can eliminate the need for costly secondary operations, such as welding, machining, etc, with careful product and process design,
- Metal Cold Forging improve part performance and characteristics: due to the metal deformation resulting in improved grain structure, while work hardening can yield significantly improved product performance,cold forming process can improve metal part performance and its characteristics.
For many OEMs,Cold Forging represents clear opportunities for cost savings over traditional large component manufacturing methods.
Material and Process Cost Advantages:
See below charts to check how much you can save if made with cold forging technology:
The Result: Metal Cold Forging can be lower Costs of Product to the Customer
Better Quality and Consistency: Cold Forming/Forging is a purely mechanical process that forms metal into net or near net shapes, but unlike traditional alternatives, it is performed at room temperature without using additional heat, providing more precise tolerances and part to part consistency than any other method.
The products made with Cold Forging:
- Higher Strength: Cold forming work hardens the material raising its yield stress, making it significantly stronger than can be produced through other methods. With these higher strength properties, component design thickness can often be reduced offering further savings on weight, material and clearance.
- Higher yields for exceptional strength
- Most precise tolerances available
- Improved physical properties by refining grain structure
- Exceptional surface finish no scale
- Part-to-part uniformity/repeatability
- Better functional reliability
- Reduced/eliminated machining & waste
- May eliminate subsequent heat treating
|General Knowledge on “Metal Cold Forging”|
What is Metal Cold Forging?
Cold forging,also named cold forming.In Japan ,called cold forging, In China, called cold heading,is a process descripted as a technology process with high speed manufacturing to let metal block(including steel,aluminium,brass,copper,etc) formed and shaped at normal circumstance temperature,the process ofen doesn`t require to remove the scrap of material..it is a manufacturing process,and also is a processing method. Same as cold stamping process,cold forging has basically same procedures . Cold forging process is composed by materia, molds, and equipment. The difference is that in cold stamping, the material is primarily sheet metal, but in the cold forging, the material is mainly discs or solid wire.
Metal Cold forging refers to the various volumes of metal carried below the recrystallization temperature of the molding.
Shapes of cold forging parts become more and more complex, from the initial stepped shaft, screws, bolts, nuts and catheters, etc., to the more complex shape parts. The typical process of spline shaft is: being extruded rod Department – upsetting the middle of the first part – extruded spline; splined sleeve main process is as follows: anti-extrusion cup – made of red bottom ring member – positive squeeze bushings. Cold cylindrical gear extrusion technology also successfully used in the production. In addition to black metal, the copper alloy, magnesium alloy and aluminum alloy cold extrusion applications are increasingly widespread.
Cold forging process is a precision plastic forming technology with cutting unparalleled advantages, such as good mechanical properties of products, high productivity and high utilization of materials, particularly suitable for mass production.It is adopted as a method of manufacturing the final product (Net-shape Forming), means of transportation in the aerospace and machine tool industry and other industries with a wide range of applications.
It has high requirement on Materials; not suitable for a small amount of processing; mold cost is high.
Cold forging technology is more diffcult than the warm forging and hot forging, It has unique advantages in the field of precision forming . It increased bore finishing, dimensional accuracy, surface strength, extending the life of the barrel.
Applications of metal cold forging
The current rapid development of automobile industry, motorcycle industry and the machine tool industry for the development of the traditional cold forging technology to provide a driving force. For example, China’s national output in 1999 had more than 11.26 million units of motorcycles, according to preliminary estimates of 2000, China’s total demand for cars to 2005 will reach 3.3 million, of which 130 to 1.4 million cars only forging needs of the automotive industry in 50 to 60 tons. Cold forging technology in China, although not too late to start, but the pace of development, but there is a big gap with the developed countries, so far, China’s production of cold forging weight of cars on the lack of 20kg, equivalent to half of the developed countries, developing great potential to strengthen and promote the use of cold forging technology development is an urgent task of our country.
Metal Cold Forging Die
Cold forging can be divided to being squeezed, anti-extrusion and coextrusion. Cold forging punch stands greater dynamic loads, to prevent fatigue failure die early, avoid excessive stress concentration, and should pay attention to the stability of the punch, punch the aspect ratio (L:D) is not too large when pressed steel, L:D≤3:1, extruded copper and its alloys L:D≤5:1, extruded aluminum and its alloys L:D≤10:1. When the stress exceeds the mold material σ0.2 / 2, the die need to be added with prestressing ring which can taper between the die and the prestressing ring (0.5 ° ~ 1 °) fit or shrink-fit (red jacket) .
Materials for Cold Forging
Currently,the available materials for cold forging and cold extrusion are: lead, tin, silver, aluminum (L1 ~ L5), aluminum (LF21, LY11, LY12, LD 10, etc.), copper and oxygen-free copper (T1, T2, T3 , TU1, TU2, etc.), brass (H62, H68, etc.), bronze (QSn6.5 a 0.1, etc.), nickel (N1, N2, etc.), cadmium zinc and zinc alloy, iron, carbon steel (Q195, Q215, Q235, Q255, 08, 10, 15 20, 25 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 numbers, steel, etc.), low-alloy steel (15Cr, 20Cr, 20MnB, 16Mn, 30CrMnSiA, 12CrNiTi, 35CrMnSi etc. ) and stainless steel (1Cr13, 2Cr13, 1Cr18Ni9Ti, etc.). In addition, for some titanium and titanium alloys, tantalum, zirconium, and Kovar alloy, also can be cold extrusion, even bearing steel GCr9, GCr15 and HSS W6Mo5Cr4V2 also can be a certain amount of deformation of cold forging and cold extrusion.
Low carbon steel cold forging dies require high hardness (59 ~ 66HRC), high compressive yield strength and toughness appropriate. Commonly used mold materials Cr12MoV, Cr12Mo1V1, W6Mo5Cr4V2 steel and base steel, prestressed ring often used 4Cr5MoVSi, 4Cr5MoV1Si steel (46 ~ 48HRC), prestressing steel outer ring usually 4Cr5MoVSi, 5CrNiMo so on.
Aluminum cold forging die
Carbon Steel can be T7A, T10A, Cr12, Cr12MoV, GCr15,9SiCr and CrWMn so on.
The mold with Excellent material, design right, good hot and cold processing, good heat treatment,though due to improper use of the machine adjustment and operation, it may still be invalid during the early failure. Machine adjustments and operational factors, including the accuracy, rigidity, gap adjustment machine, positioning allowed and occasional overload. Seriously these factors will help to identify the real cause of die failure, the greater volatility in the life of the mold production, often with the machine to adjust and use the operating factors, must be given adequate attention.
The secondary process after metal cold forging:
Though metal parts coming from cold forming process are usually complete or near to be finished with very small minimal scrap, generating significant raw material savings compared to traditional screw machining process,it always still is used as the primary manufacturing process which produce as simple as a screw/nut blank. The part then always comes with secondary process including polishing,maching,etc to achieve more high precision part configuration with good tolerances grade.The best commen secondary process are:
- Heat Treatment. To achieve a desired result such as hardening or softening of a material. Heat Sometimes,heating and cooling are done for the specific purpose of altering properties intentionally, they often occur incidentally during forming.
- Polished.To polish the cold forming product,usually,they will be sprayed with mini stainless steel ball in a closed room,then all scraps,oils,burrs will be removed.
- machined or lathing.Machining process is usually to make screw thread or make a horizontal hole on the cold forming product.As cold forming process itself is diffcult to make thread or horizontal hole.
- Anodic oxidation or electroplating.After all processes are finished,some products are required to do electroplating.If the product is made from aluminium,it is always required to do anodic oxidation
Cold forging,same as cold extrusion, due to friction,maybe cause cracks in the surface of the metal extrusion attached under the influence of tensile stress. Therefore, the better the metal material`s plastic performance, the lower the hardness, the lower the carbon content and the less fit sulfur, phosphorus and other inclusions, the weaker of work hardening sensitivity,then it is more favorable to cold forging/cold extrusion, the process quality of forging and extrusion will be better.
|Contact us to Customize Metal Cold Forging Products|
Submit drawings for Metal Cold forging,Let Metalhelper manufacture it for you.
Let Metalhelper to help you process/manufacture Metal Cold forming,Please send us the meassage with drawing or sample photo,and tell us your purchased quantity in first order,and then we`ll quote to you. The more details on product you provide,the more quick we can quote. You also can visit http://www.metalhelper.com to contact Metalhelper company directly for Metal Extrusion Fabrication business
Request Quotation for Metal Cold Forging,Let China metal factory serve for you: